Friday, April 30, 2010

I am like a Gerber Daisy

I bought gerber daisies for our flower box this year instead of petunias, which we usually get. My husband and I thought they looked adorable. I looked up online how to care for them and one article I found said they do not like temperatures under 60 degrees. Therefore, we have been bringing them onto the enclosed front porch each night. I have been watering them almost every day and there are holes in the bottom of the pot for them to drain. So, I couldn't figure out why the gerber daisies started to wilt and turn brown recently. We have been taking such good care of them over the last few weeks.


I did a google search yesterday on gerber daisies. One article said to keep them moist, and one said water them a little bit each morning but make sure by evening they are not too wet. I read on another one that they don't like it too hot. I called my mom who is an expert at keeping plants and flowers thriving and beautiful and she said that she has never had luck with gerber daisies.


I went to my friend Christa's last night. I told her about our gerber daisies being so difficult to take care of. She said "They are sensitive". We both decided that we are like a gerber daisy. We are sensitive. When we are bright and healthy, we really shine. And just as the gerber daisies wilt sometimes, we are down and weary sometimes. We love perfect temperatures, not too hot and not too cold. Between 60-80 degrees is perfect.


I had a weary day yesterday. Thank God that His mercies are renewed every morning. Today is a new day. I am feeling refreshed and better. I looked out the window this morning and the gerber daisies are looking better too. They all look healthy. Last night was the first night we left them outside all night long.


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." - Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

  1. Amber, there must be lots of gerber daisies ... I am another one! So thankful for God's mercies, new every morning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete