Monday, June 15, 2015

You are Wonderfully Made

I used to spend a lot of time straightening my hair. I didn’t like how my hair was naturally wavy, so I would change it to what I wanted it to be - straight. I compared myself with other women on television and in life.   Many days I would spend an hour or more sitting with an straightening iron to my hair trying to flatten it out.  Watching in the mirror as the iron did the slow process of removing my curls. I remember my mom would say things like “You’re hair is so beautiful natural, why don’t you wear it curly?”. I simply didn’t like it. One time I told my hairdresser in college to straighten my hair (with a permanent straightener) and to thin it out. I decided I wanted thin, straight hair instead of my naturally wavy, thick hair.  She tried to talk me out of it but did what I insisted.

Things all began to change for the better when I was 24, when I met someone who loved me exactly how I was made and who loved me so much He died for me.

 “You are so beautiful, my Beloved, so perfect in every part” ~ Song of Songs 4:7 (NLT).  I met the Lord Jesus Christ.  I found healing and freedom through the power of God’s Word, and after I experienced the God’s deep love through the cross of Jesus Christ.  Finally. I felt free to be me~ the person God uniquely created. I began to let my hair dry naturally (without a hair dryer).  It was fun!  I enjoyed how God made me!  Some people at my job probably thought that I got a perm, because they were seeing my naturally wavy hair for the very first time. God is so good and His love is so healing.  He sets us free.

Every once in awhile, I straighten my hair.  Yet, I feel more free and my true self letting my hair be natural, and I thank God for the the way He created me.  Here are some of the Bible verses (God’s Truth) that have helped me to have joy in how I was made. May you hear God speak to you through these verses:


“You are fearfully and wonderfully made.”  ~ Psalm 139:14

“You are so beautiful, my Beloved, so perfect in every part” ~ Song of Songs 4:7 (NLT)

"For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, 
so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." ~ Ephesians 2:10


Friend, if you ever struggle with wishing you looked different in any way, I totally understand.  I used to big-time struggle with this.  One thing that healed me is saying God’s Word over and over in my mind and/or out loud. So if you struggle with this, you can say “I am fearfully and wonderfully made by God” or “The Lord says I am so beautiful, so perfect in every part” and you will begin to believe it. God’s Word is powerful and life-changing. :)

Let’s pray:


Holy Father, thank you that You knew what You were doing when you created me~ every part of me. Thank You that I was made to glorify You and even the way You designed me is for Your glory. Thank You, precious Lord that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Heal me and free me of any lies that I believe in the area of body image, in Jesus’ mighty name. Amen!




The lovely painting was created by a sweet sister-in-Christ, Darlene Schacht, of Time-Warp Wife.  She recently started Bible journaling and it’s amazing what God is doing through her art talents.  She has tips for healthy Christ-centered marriage and cute drawings with Bible verses on her website: http://timewarpwife.com 
{The lovely painting was used by permission of Darlene~ isn't it adorable?}

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this reminder that we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindi! It's a joy to share. :D Today on my way to work I was saying Psalm 34:4 over and over to help conquer my current battle of fear (that I mentioned in email). I feel more peaceful. God is good!

      Delete
  2. Amber, your freedom with your hair inspires me, though I haven't quite got there yet ... maybe one day. But I thank God I am fearfully and wonderfully made and beautiful in His eyes. Thank you, Amber, for sharing your heart at #IntentionalTuesday on Intentionally Pursuing. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Crystal, thank you sweet friend for your kind comment. I was very blessed through your blog and I pray for your ministry to be blessed abundantly. :)

      Delete
  3. So sweet to read your words, Amber! Thanks for being an example to others of the verses that you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cherry! That means a lot to me... you are a blessing! :)

      Delete
  4. Great truths, Amber! I would imagine most women can relate to this! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! :) Thanks for your encouraging comment. God bless you and your family.

      Delete